Want to make a difference to women who may experience domestic abuse?
We are Hestia, a vibrant London based charity. Our Barking and Dagenham domestic abuse service is looking for a Refuge Worker to be part of their friendly team. We have 2 refuges in the borough where we provide temporary emergency accommodation to women and their children (if any) who have experienced or exposed to domestic abuse. We empower and support women in determining their own futures whether their decision to start a new life or return home safely.
You will get to work with the local community, adding to the local VAWG strategy, and enjoy local training.
We welcome applications from candidates with lived experience.
Section 7(2) b & e of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 apply to this position – (Only Female applicants Please)
- To be able to demonstrate compassion and empathy to service users who experienced trauma.
- Ability to facilitate and deliver direct work supporting women experiencing domestic abuse.
- Ability to work with varied community groups and services and multicultural communities.
- An understanding of the tasks required to maintain a safe living and working environment.
- An understanding of the risks associated with lone working.
- Working knowledge of statutory and voluntary services available for the client group and the issues involved in providing a co- ordinated service for them.
- Working knowledge of welfare benefits.
- An understanding of the support interventions required firstly to support a service user to maintain their accommodation at the refuge and to then move to independent accommodation successfully.
If you want to do an ASYE and you fit the criteria Hestia will support you to join our existing programme.
In return we offer a competitive salary, a supportive working environment and a host of benefits including pension, employee discounts, 25 days holiday per annum (for full-time positions) plus the option to buy an additional 3 weeks, cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan.
For a detailed job description, benefits overview and terms and conditions, please see our attached job pack.
Hestia is proud to be a Disability Confident employer. Should you require our job pack in an alternative format, require further assistance or wish to discuss any reasonable adjustments you may need to attend an interview, please contact HRRecruitment@hestia.org
If you have any convictions/cautions, this does not mean you cannot apply for any of our roles, however we do require a DBS for all positions. We will ensure that any positive disclosures on DBS records are discussed with candidates and fairly assessed by an internal panel.
Location: Barking and Dagenham
Salary:£20,124 rising to £20,760 per annum after 1 year
Hours: 39 hours per week
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 17:18 pm occasional late finishes
Closing date: 31 May 2018
Interview date: 4 June 2018
At Hestia, we support adults and children across London in times of crisis.
Last year we worked with more than 9,000 people, including victims of modern slavery, women and children who have experienced domestic abuse, young care leavers and older people. From giving someone a home to helping them to get the right mental health support, we support and enable people at the moment of crisis.